Lindsay Saker is one of South Africa’s oldest brands. We’ve been selling cars for over 100 years. Many people think that Lindsay Saker was an actual person but, in fact, the name of our business is a combination of names of people that played a key role in making Lindsay Saker one of the biggest motor retail networks in Southern Africa today. In 1902, two brothers, Charles and DH Saker, started DH Saker Limited, one of the first businesses to get a concession to sell some of the very first cars like Crosley, White Steam, and De Dion Bouton, at a time when Johannesburg was still a gold mining town.
This 30-year period, 1930 – 1966, saw considerable diversification in the business and in 1946, Anglo Transvaal Consolidated acquired control. The name of the company was changed to the Saker Motor Corporation when former Johannesburg Mayor, Jack Mincer, took control of the company.
Whilst the Saker Motor Corporation was becoming a major force, GK Lindsay became one of the first Volkswagen dealers in the Johannesburg area, in 1951. On the 31 August of that year, the first Beetle rolled off the production line in Uitenhage; the People’s Car had come to South Africa. In 1957, The Sakers Finance and Investment Company merged with GK Lindsay and the name Lindsay Saker was coined.
The future is an exciting place for all of us and as cars and transport get even more sophisticated, the Lindsay Saker Group looks forward to all the changes and opportunities that will surely unfold in the next hundred years!